Call it what you may…software-defined object storage, object-based storage software, or object storage software…it is a hot topic with lots of industry buzz. For the past 13 years, TechTarget SearchStorage has “honored the best and brightest technologies of the upcoming year”—presenting
technologies they believe will make a big impact while leaning towards practicality and focusing on companies with proven, mature technology. We are excited that Caringo was one of the companies featured in 2 of the 5 sections in the hot data storage technology trends for 2016—erasure coding and object storage. So, to cut to the chase, object storage and enabling technology like erasure coding are definitely hot!
2015 has been a big year for us at Caringo. With the release of FileFly for Swarm (highlighted in the SearchStorage article), we made it easier for organizations to derive the many benefits of object storage, including those mentioned in the Ending Storage Silos whitepaper:
- Making data content-addressable versus location-addressable, as is the case with SAN, NAS, DAS, or unified.
- Running on commodity servers, media, networks, etc., to solve the hardware commodity problem.
- Scaling into the petabytes and beyond, elastically up and down, to solve storage silo scaling and elasticity issues.
- Providing the data resilience and durability required through multi-copy mirroring and/or erasure coding plus proactive autonomic healing.
- Enabling the addition and removal of any and all nodes online, non-disruptively, to the applications without data migration.
As 2015 comes to a close, are you looking to the future and wondering how you can possibly keep up with the relentless growth of data and consolidate your storage silos? If so, we recommend taking the editors at TechTarget’s advice and looking into erasure coding and object storage. Email us or connect with us on Twitter and LinkedIn and ask us any or all of your questions or set up a consultation. We are happy to help!