Today is National Tequila Day. And, whether you are purchasing data storage for your organization or a bottle of tequila, how you evaluate the merits of products tends to be relative to your specific requirements. While purchases like a bottle of tequila require little forethought, the stakes are far higher when it comes to evaluating storage. The list of considerations can be extensive, and one size never fits all. You may ask questions such as:
- Is this technology currently proven for my use case and vertical?
- Will it integrate with my existing storage and the applications used in my org?
- What type of data (structured vs. unstructured) is this storage suitable for?
- Will this accommodate my current data needs and expand easily for future data growth?
- Does it provide an appropriate level of data accessibility?
- Can we afford this solution now and moving forward given our budget?
- Will we need new skill sets or additional staff hours to manage it?
- How will it impact existing workflows?
- Just how safe is data in this storage?
- Can it meet existing and potentially new regulatory requirements?
- What type of support services are offered?
Clearly, technology purchases warrant a thorough vetting process. You may need a granular explanation of just how certain features (such as replication and erasure coding) work in one product versus competing products in the marketplace. Or, maybe you want to make certain the technology is field-hardened and the vendor will remain in business long term. Make the wrong decision and you may be finishing that bottle of tequila far faster than you thought.
Our next Tech Tuesday webinar will address how to evaluate object storage solutions. It will be hosted by John Bell, Senior Consultant, and feature Ben Canter, our VP of Sales. John and Ben spend countless hours talking to those evaluating object storage solutions, and John works to architect solutions that fulfill the needs of all types of organizations–from massive government agencies to small companies that need to implement new solutions for storing massive amounts of unstructured data. John and Ben can always be counted on to tell it like it is–often with humorous and colorful commentary to illustrate their points.
Register now to watch the live BrightTALK broadcast August 21 at 11 am PT/2 pm ET or to be notified when it is available to view on demand.
Now, back to the task of evaluating tequila. Happy National Tequila Day!
Once you’ve determined that you have outgrown traditional SAN & NAS solutions and that you need to investigate object-based storage (OBS), how do you know which one is the best fit for your use case … More Details »